Skip to main content

Day 158 - JMT Donahue Pass

As we climbed the hillside trail towards Donahue Pass and our exit out of Yosemite, the vista opened up, exposing high arĂȘte, glacier-carved walls and a rocky path up to a mountain pass. We took this portrait showing the color scope  of the Sierras--pink flowers, yellow grasses, green trees, grey mountains and blue skies.

Near the first pass, the trail climbed further left, passing a high lake, and then up past the green trees to the rocky alpine tundra above. You always have further to climb than you think. 

The view at the pass was spectacular. Blue mountains in the distance chanted to us--beckoning us forward, but smoke far in the distance reminded us of the challenges and likely early-ending that our trip could face.  

After a few miles of dusty paths leading through pretty but mainly just rocky terrain, the view changed: a powerful, mystical, compelling mountain began to dominate our view and our minds. The blue mountains spiked into the sky, their sharp edges countering the smoothness of the lower grounds with masculinity and power. 

Mount Ritter finally came into clear, epic view at Thousand Island Lake. We stood in awe. 

We considered camping here but continued instead to the next lake, called Garnet Lake. We had been told by a friend that Garnet was the most beautiful lake in this area. How it could top Thousand Island was beyond imagination. 

But it did.  Ritter towered over the lake like a general over his army. We found a hillside camp with narrow, level camp spots perfect for us. 

We settled in, cooked a great dinner, setup our bear hang and watched the sun set over Mt. Ritter and Garnet Lake, our first true show of nature's divine glory, since setting out yesterday. What a great life?!  What a wonder?! I felt blessed and so very happy. This trip was going to be special. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 82 - Yellowstone to Montana

My alarm sounded at 5:30am, a time early enough for me to arise before someone found me secretly camping. The geyser prediction said Grand at 6:15am so I set out toward it.  I ran into geyser gazer Jim there and he said it likely erupted at 4:30-- missed it. Early morning eruptions are hard to predict as someone needed to have seen the previous overnight eruption in order to make a prediction. I walked on toward Artemesia, an unpredictable geyser at the far corner of the basin. I had seen her erupt from a mile away and wanted a closer inspection. The early morning setting was momentous, yet I didn't see a geyser erupt up close until Grand at 10:30.  Then Sawmill erupted with its twirling thirty foot action (pic).   The only remaining geyser left to experience on my mental list was Beehive up close. With a predicted window of 810 to 1210, I arrived at 1030 and waited until 1pm, before giving up. The sun was hot, I had read the geyser book cover to cover, and while seeing e...

Day 78 - Yellowstone Old Faithul Geysers

See Old Faithful, Grand, Lion and Beehive geysers erupt in 60 seconds:   http://youtu.be/tv7BPXW4x5g This morning was one of the most exciting mornings of my trip. It started off when I decided to take a long solo hike through the geyser field, leaving at 630am. Mist was still covering this dense geyser field as I walked from geyser to hot spring (20% of the world's active geysers reside here in this one square mile area).   Following a boardwalk, so not to get burned, I saw a man sitting on the boardwalk staring at an empty geyser hole. I asked him if he worked for the park service and he responded no-- he was an amateur geyser gazer-- he watched the geysers and recorded eruption times. He mentioned that we were quote "entering the window for Grand" -- geyser gazer speak for Grand geyser is about to go off. I walked a short ways to Grand and waited, one of a few at first and then one of a few dozen as a quick hour passed. The Geizer Gazer, Jim, instructed me on how to wa...

Day 25 - Aravaipa Canyon part 2

The nice thing about Canyons is that they look different going the other way.  Having hiked from the west to the east end of Aravaipa the previous day, I got up early  at 6am , had some coffee and protein bars for breakfast, packed up my gear and headed back to my supervan.  The sunlight hitting the top of the canyon walls made the east hoodoo-like section human-like (pic 1).  The cool spring water on my feet was delicate as I sped down the creek. After about three miles I look a right turn to explore Hell Hole Canyon, a dry side canyon that I had read was stunning. The walls were towering and winding and narrow. Being in the narrow dark canyon so early in the day was a bit creepy feeling for some reason. Like other animals I felt safer when I was close to the water. After thirty minutes I turned back around and left the Hell Hole Canyon (pic 2 shows the entrance of Hell Hole) and returned down stream.  It wasn't until noon that I ran into another human being. T...