Skip to main content

Day 157 - JMT Yosemite Tuolumne Meadows

Wildfire smoke would be the antagonist for our trip. I learned this on day 1 of our 200-mile hike while on the bus to Yosemite. A father and daughter had to leave their journey halfway through because dense smoke from the 55,000 acre Rough Fire in Kings Canyon was pouring east over the high mountains, making the air poisonous and ruining the views:(

But we knew the first few days would be clear.  A half hour into the four-hour bus ride the smoke shrouded the mountains and the towns. It cleared eventually as we turn up a steep hill to the eastern pass of Yosemite. My first views of Yosemite were as lovely as they had been in my dreams. 

We picked up our wilderness permit, lying about the extra food outside our bear cans (having too much food--heavy food- was another hike antagonist).  Then we were off. A stroll through the woods, past streams and quiet bird calls led us to a long meadow- Tuolumne. I remembered hearing about Tuolumne Meadows while researching the Pacific Crest Trail and here we were. It felt awesome!!

We immediately felt the weight of our packs-- mine around 45 pounds and Bob's maybe 60 pounds. I had invested in ultralight hiking gear but the bear canister, 7+ days of food and extra water added heft. Bob had heavier gear but also an Alaskan toughness to carry him on. The mountain range containing Donahue Pass, tomorrow's exit from Yosemite, neared as we trotted onward. 

And closer, the green gave way to grey. Alpine awaited. 

We climbed halfway up, maybe 1000 feet in elevation and stopped at a wooded stream crossing.  We found a secluded campsite by a waterfall, setup our camping gear (tarp plus bivy sacks) and jumped in the ice cold swimming hole near the falls. Hello Sierra!  We cooked our first meal, Couscius with mixed veggies, nuts and raisins and learned our first lesson--too many veggies. Very full, supremely content and more excited than ever, we camped beneath the stars, awaiting the next wild day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62 - Colorado National Monument

Established as a national monument early in 1911, Colorado NM is known for its high canyon "rim road" and sandstone spires of Monument Canyon.  The canyons of west Colorado are pretty--as they have more green trees and shrubs than the more famous Utah canyons. This gives them a more alive feeling, although the sandstone spires were formed many thousands of years ago by erosion.  Rim Rock road curves up the the top of the canyon cliff, goes through several round tunnels and is lined with scenic viewpoints. The best views were in he Monument Canyon section, and included in sequence, the Coke Ovens, The Kissing Couple (behind my head), and the most famous of all: Independence Monument, the tall spire in pic 3 and viewed from the side in pic 4.  The original promoter and caretaker of the park, John Otto, was the first person to climb Independence Monument and now it's a climbing right of passage. Every July 4 climbers ascend and mount an American flag at the summit. Fun! ...

Day 82 - Yellowstone to Montana

My alarm sounded at 5:30am, a time early enough for me to arise before someone found me secretly camping. The geyser prediction said Grand at 6:15am so I set out toward it.  I ran into geyser gazer Jim there and he said it likely erupted at 4:30-- missed it. Early morning eruptions are hard to predict as someone needed to have seen the previous overnight eruption in order to make a prediction. I walked on toward Artemesia, an unpredictable geyser at the far corner of the basin. I had seen her erupt from a mile away and wanted a closer inspection. The early morning setting was momentous, yet I didn't see a geyser erupt up close until Grand at 10:30.  Then Sawmill erupted with its twirling thirty foot action (pic).   The only remaining geyser left to experience on my mental list was Beehive up close. With a predicted window of 810 to 1210, I arrived at 1030 and waited until 1pm, before giving up. The sun was hot, I had read the geyser book cover to cover, and while seeing e...

Day 78 - Yellowstone Old Faithul Geysers

See Old Faithful, Grand, Lion and Beehive geysers erupt in 60 seconds:   http://youtu.be/tv7BPXW4x5g This morning was one of the most exciting mornings of my trip. It started off when I decided to take a long solo hike through the geyser field, leaving at 630am. Mist was still covering this dense geyser field as I walked from geyser to hot spring (20% of the world's active geysers reside here in this one square mile area).   Following a boardwalk, so not to get burned, I saw a man sitting on the boardwalk staring at an empty geyser hole. I asked him if he worked for the park service and he responded no-- he was an amateur geyser gazer-- he watched the geysers and recorded eruption times. He mentioned that we were quote "entering the window for Grand" -- geyser gazer speak for Grand geyser is about to go off. I walked a short ways to Grand and waited, one of a few at first and then one of a few dozen as a quick hour passed. The Geizer Gazer, Jim, instructed me on how to wa...