Skip to main content

Day 53 - San Juan Mountains

The San Juans of Southwest Colorado are dramatic mountains.  Glacier-carved, they are steep and rugged, and snow covered until July. This was May. I arose early and drove back up to sensational Lizard Head Pass and Trout Lake. I wanted to hike up into the snow to the base of Lizard Head Peak, maybe 12000-13000 feet up. I figured I would just walk on top of the snow and I would bring my mini crampons just in case. But first I needed a map. 

I continued down the scenic road to the Mountain Village, a luxury ski resort, but it was shut for the season. I then drove on to Telluride, a popular ski resort town, where I found an outfitter with a map. Map in hand, I drove back to Lizard Head Pass and started my hike!  After fifteen minutes, the trail went through a forest, with foot-high-plus piles of snow. I started sinking in the snow almost waist deep (this is called post holing). I was making hilariously slow progress and I was gasping for air at this high altitude (it takes several days for your body to adjust) so I decided to backtrack and go to a lower elevation.  Pics of Lizard Head Pass, close-by Trout Lake and Mountain Village. 




Rain fell intermittently as I drove farther north on the scenic road toward the Dallas Divide, another famous high pass. I turned off the main road to explore the Last Dollar Road and was treated to mile after mile of millionaire ranches with billionaire views. Few people seemed home and the roads were quiet and the vistas grand. 


I continued up past some more mountain towns to Ridgeway and then Ouray, eventually going east in order to go back south down the other side of the San Juan Mountains. Just after passing Ouray, I began to climb a crazy-narrow highway when I saw three Big Horned Sheep on the road. I stopped and got a pic of one just before it climbed up the sheer cliff above the road. 


Almost as if the Big Horned Sheep called the storm, rain and then snow began to fall gently as I drove up the high mountain passes to get to the other side of the San Juans. But the temperature was just above freezing so nothing stuck to the road and I made it up and down the winding roads safely. I stopped briefly in Silverton, the largest town on that side, but it felt like a ghost town, sad in its emptiness, so I drove south hoping to find a suitable campsite. 

But with the rain pouring down and the forest getting more private ski-resort-ish as I descended, no suitable campsites were found. I drove all the way to Walmart in the city of Durango, hoping I could camp there.  I was met with two huge disappointments: giant Walmart signs saying no overnight camping: you will be towed and a cold and wet mattress and pillows, drenched when my water container had fallen. And it was raining. And it was getting dark. And I had a bad sour throat and a developing cold, both likely from altitude sickness. So I bought a hotel room.  I took the mattress and pillows inside, took a half hour hot shower and watched mindless TV until I fell deeply asleep. 




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62 - Colorado National Monument

Established as a national monument early in 1911, Colorado NM is known for its high canyon "rim road" and sandstone spires of Monument Canyon.  The canyons of west Colorado are pretty--as they have more green trees and shrubs than the more famous Utah canyons. This gives them a more alive feeling, although the sandstone spires were formed many thousands of years ago by erosion.  Rim Rock road curves up the the top of the canyon cliff, goes through several round tunnels and is lined with scenic viewpoints. The best views were in he Monument Canyon section, and included in sequence, the Coke Ovens, The Kissing Couple (behind my head), and the most famous of all: Independence Monument, the tall spire in pic 3 and viewed from the side in pic 4.  The original promoter and caretaker of the park, John Otto, was the first person to climb Independence Monument and now it's a climbing right of passage. Every July 4 climbers ascend and mount an American flag at the summit. Fun! ...

Day 82 - Yellowstone to Montana

My alarm sounded at 5:30am, a time early enough for me to arise before someone found me secretly camping. The geyser prediction said Grand at 6:15am so I set out toward it.  I ran into geyser gazer Jim there and he said it likely erupted at 4:30-- missed it. Early morning eruptions are hard to predict as someone needed to have seen the previous overnight eruption in order to make a prediction. I walked on toward Artemesia, an unpredictable geyser at the far corner of the basin. I had seen her erupt from a mile away and wanted a closer inspection. The early morning setting was momentous, yet I didn't see a geyser erupt up close until Grand at 10:30.  Then Sawmill erupted with its twirling thirty foot action (pic).   The only remaining geyser left to experience on my mental list was Beehive up close. With a predicted window of 810 to 1210, I arrived at 1030 and waited until 1pm, before giving up. The sun was hot, I had read the geyser book cover to cover, and while seeing e...

Day 78 - Yellowstone Old Faithul Geysers

See Old Faithful, Grand, Lion and Beehive geysers erupt in 60 seconds:   http://youtu.be/tv7BPXW4x5g This morning was one of the most exciting mornings of my trip. It started off when I decided to take a long solo hike through the geyser field, leaving at 630am. Mist was still covering this dense geyser field as I walked from geyser to hot spring (20% of the world's active geysers reside here in this one square mile area).   Following a boardwalk, so not to get burned, I saw a man sitting on the boardwalk staring at an empty geyser hole. I asked him if he worked for the park service and he responded no-- he was an amateur geyser gazer-- he watched the geysers and recorded eruption times. He mentioned that we were quote "entering the window for Grand" -- geyser gazer speak for Grand geyser is about to go off. I walked a short ways to Grand and waited, one of a few at first and then one of a few dozen as a quick hour passed. The Geizer Gazer, Jim, instructed me on how to wa...