Skip to main content

Day 131 - Redwood

First stop Stout Grove.  The early morning mist gives the towering Redwoods strength.  With loads of winter rain and juicy summer mist, foot thick bark and natural resistances to bacteria and fire, many Redwoods are 2000 years old.  Ancients deserving great respect.

The nutrients of an enormous fallen Redwood trunk give life to new trees.  This fallen trunk has become an inscription tree.

Redwood is also known for vast Pacific Ocean views.  Oceans... Argh.

The next major stop was the Fern Canyon, a shady, wet, an fun vertical-wall canyon covered with ferns.  I enjoyed hopping and skipping over the fallen trees and streams in this unique canyon.

After lots of driving through grove after grove of old-growth forests, I arrived to my final, grand destination: the road to the Tall Trees Grove, home to the tallest tree in the world.

Here is a pic of four Redwood pals, ten feet from the tallest tree.  I found out later that a taller-tallest tree has been found, somewhere else in the park, in a hidden location.  Big trees in this grove all tower 320+ feet in the air, the former tallest tree was 369 feet, the now tallest tree is 379 feet.  That's tall.

I drove east along a dirt road, through an Indian reservation, then north for hours along endlessly winding roads, eventually arriving at Lassen Volcanic Park five hours later.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 62 - Colorado National Monument

Established as a national monument early in 1911, Colorado NM is known for its high canyon "rim road" and sandstone spires of Monument Canyon.  The canyons of west Colorado are pretty--as they have more green trees and shrubs than the more famous Utah canyons. This gives them a more alive feeling, although the sandstone spires were formed many thousands of years ago by erosion.  Rim Rock road curves up the the top of the canyon cliff, goes through several round tunnels and is lined with scenic viewpoints. The best views were in he Monument Canyon section, and included in sequence, the Coke Ovens, The Kissing Couple (behind my head), and the most famous of all: Independence Monument, the tall spire in pic 3 and viewed from the side in pic 4.  The original promoter and caretaker of the park, John Otto, was the first person to climb Independence Monument and now it's a climbing right of passage. Every July 4 climbers ascend and mount an American flag at the summit. Fun! ...

Day 82 - Yellowstone to Montana

My alarm sounded at 5:30am, a time early enough for me to arise before someone found me secretly camping. The geyser prediction said Grand at 6:15am so I set out toward it.  I ran into geyser gazer Jim there and he said it likely erupted at 4:30-- missed it. Early morning eruptions are hard to predict as someone needed to have seen the previous overnight eruption in order to make a prediction. I walked on toward Artemesia, an unpredictable geyser at the far corner of the basin. I had seen her erupt from a mile away and wanted a closer inspection. The early morning setting was momentous, yet I didn't see a geyser erupt up close until Grand at 10:30.  Then Sawmill erupted with its twirling thirty foot action (pic).   The only remaining geyser left to experience on my mental list was Beehive up close. With a predicted window of 810 to 1210, I arrived at 1030 and waited until 1pm, before giving up. The sun was hot, I had read the geyser book cover to cover, and while seeing e...

Day 78 - Yellowstone Old Faithul Geysers

See Old Faithful, Grand, Lion and Beehive geysers erupt in 60 seconds:   http://youtu.be/tv7BPXW4x5g This morning was one of the most exciting mornings of my trip. It started off when I decided to take a long solo hike through the geyser field, leaving at 630am. Mist was still covering this dense geyser field as I walked from geyser to hot spring (20% of the world's active geysers reside here in this one square mile area).   Following a boardwalk, so not to get burned, I saw a man sitting on the boardwalk staring at an empty geyser hole. I asked him if he worked for the park service and he responded no-- he was an amateur geyser gazer-- he watched the geysers and recorded eruption times. He mentioned that we were quote "entering the window for Grand" -- geyser gazer speak for Grand geyser is about to go off. I walked a short ways to Grand and waited, one of a few at first and then one of a few dozen as a quick hour passed. The Geizer Gazer, Jim, instructed me on how to wa...