Skip to main content

Days 173 to 175 - The Drive Home, The Lesson

WEST.  175 days, 1,500 miles hiked, 25,000 miles driven, 75 parks visited.  One Story.

Can you hear the NPR soft voice?!  Haha.

My inner monologue ran constantly as I drove the 2,600 miles home.  After two hours of high mountain desert driving I hit I-40 and headed east, 2,450 miles east.  I drove for 350 miles between stops, powered by caffeine, chocolate and sugar.  I listened to music and political radio, catching up on the world that kept going while I walked.  I stopped at 9pm just east of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

By the next day, the scenery had flattened and I was officially not in the West.  I felt like a trucker, on auto-pilot, making miles, stopping at the truck stops, even stopping in Oklahoma City for an oil change.  I camped for the night a few hours west of Memphis, Tennessee.

I eventually made it to the mountains of North Carolina and then home to my dad's house at 10:30pm on the third day.  I had driven twelve hours a day but didn't feel that bad.  I was pretty good at this thing, I was a road tripper officially now.

One of the most common questions I've received since being home is: "How have you changed?"  And I don't have a good answer to this question.  And I feel kind of sad and ashamed about that.  I quit an amazing job, left the working world at 33 years old to take a six month adventure trip, and came away without a mission, a purpose--a vision for my life?!  Failure. 

But then I realized something: this trip was never a vision quest.  This was always simply an adventure.  That's what I needed at the time.  I had my whole life planned out at 18--go to engineering school, work three years, go to business school, come to Vietri, become President, get married and have kids along the way.  I would often postpone what felt genuine to me or fun for future gain, because I felt like the reward at the end would be worth it.  And it could've been.  A life being President of a successful international family business would've been amazing.  But it wouldn't have been my life.

And in the end, that's what this trip was: Carpe Diem, Seize the Day.  Six months to do exactly what I would want to do with six months of my life if I could custom tailor it--without any thought of future implications--without any thought of social norms--without any thought of family obligation.  It was purely selfish fun.

And goddamn, was it great.

Now, the harder question is how do I take six months of pure fun and apply it to my life going forward.  That question is frankly hard.  I'm struggling with that question.  I've found myself, since being home, falling into the same traps that caught me last time: laziness (too much tv, not enough exercise), over-analysis (too much thinking, not enough action) and seclusion (too much time alone, not enough time with friends and family).  I haven't been seizing the day.

So, perhaps the answer to the question of what to do with my life-- my mission, my purpose, my vision-- perhaps the answer to what "lesson did I learn" from this trip-- is simple:

Exercise a lot, take action today doing things I enjoy (including work), and do it with friends and family as much as possible.

So, thanks for joining me for this six months.  Sharing this experience with all of you brought me incredible joy!  And if you want to go on an adventure-- I AM YOUR MAN, I'M IN.  HOW ABOUT TODAY?  

Comments

  1. preexisting respiratory ailments may be affected when exposing themselves at high elevations and high ozone levels. Second, rockymountainairpurifiers.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 168 - JMT Pinchot Pass

The mountains appeared like sand dunes in the soft early light.  We drank our coffee, packed up our gear and set off up the hill toward Pinchot Pass. Not a mile up the trail, we encountered another sensational High Sierra lake, Lake Marjorie, and the peaceful reflections off the lake's surface.  Mountains of white and red and grey and black surrounded us-- all surfaces seemingly from another planet, but welcoming us this morning on Earth. Jeff and Steve and a lady named Tara joined us at the picturesque summit of Pinchot Pass.  We remained there for a complete hour, enjoying stories of hiking triumph and Jeff's difficult but rewarding experiences as a search and rescue captain. Reluctant to leave the 12,000 foot pass, but begged forward by the slowly descending trail, we hiked on.  The wonderful landscape in the background, with layers of blues, and browns and whites, appeared like an Ansel Adams masterpiece, and the trail a magical doorway to its frame. The sce

Day 171 - JMT Guitar Lake

Wow, was it cold this morning. After waking up and eating breakfast, we packed up quickly and found this scenic sunspot to warm our bones. We had a short eight mile hike to Guitar Lake today,  the last viable campsite before the five mile hike to the 14,505 foot-high Mount Whitney summit.  We stopped at this lovely meadow and looked for bears. We only saw deer but were able to enjoy the incredible peace of the far mountain range. Steady hiker traffic, the most of the entire trip, including one group of twelve elder hikers, passed us as we rested, and jumped! Views of Mount Whitney finally came into view at Timberline Lake, a quaint lake where camping was unfortunately forbidden. We passed a group of twenty Taiwanese hikers.  The summit of Mount Whitney looked heavily defended when viewed from below. We were going to wake up tomorrow at 230am and hike up to the summit for sunrise-on-the-top-of-the-world*. The thought of this dark task was a bit foreboding.  We made it to Guitar Lake by

Day 150 - Big Sur Hearst Castle

Big Sur coastline continues in its beauty.  Elephant seals practice sparring. They make a snore-like belly belch sound while sparring and then after ten seconds later lie back down to snooze on the sand.  The Hearst Castle is an incredibly luxurious complex on top of a high hill overlooking the ocean and coastal mountains. The feel was Mediterranean, royal and magical.  The outdoor pool had a Roman feel-- on a hill, in California. Strangely awesome.  But the indoor pool was the tops-- like a Turkish kings dream moment come to life.  I found a beautiful campground close to the castle and stopped for the night.